Dr. Seuss Day Is TOMORROW!!!!!

So I had this wonderful thing called a Teacher Work Sample to do this semester. I turned in a 72-page document all about magnetism. I had to plan the unit, make lesson plans, teach the lessons, give the pre- and post- tests, and evaluate EVERYTHING. It was a beast. I turned it in February 27. Hooray!!!

Also on February 27 I changed schools and grades for student teaching. I absolutely LOVED my last school and grade and class and everything. I'm learning to love this one. Here's why:

The good:
* Amazing mentor teacher. She has 27 years of teaching experience and is so thorough in everything she does it is incredible to watch.
* Super cute kids. Second graders are always cute no matter what. Especially when you get to send them home at 2:45.
* Did I mention that Dr. Seuss Day is tomorrow? Oh, AND I get to go on a field trip to a FARM with these kids.


The other stuff:
* The school itself has been going through some changes because there is a new principal. She is really fun but is new so going from a wonderful principal to someone who is still learning the ropes has been interesting.
* There has been quite a bit of drama between teachers the past few weeks. Lame.
* My mentor teacher kind of talks to me like I'm one of her students. She calls me "honey" and "sweetie" all the time. It makes me feel a little awkward.

BYU has wisely had us split up our student teaching into two blocks. They also have you student teach in both a lower and an upper grade. This is wise because we are basically the full-time teacher by the end of our first placement. Then we have to come to another school and start again where you were two months ago. It is humbling, which I think we all need. In talking to all the other student teachers in my school they feel the same way I do about learning to love our classrooms.

I'm starting to look for teaching jobs too so if you have ANY pointers for me I would be grateful for them because I'm a tiny bit terrified and don't really know how to do this. I'm SUPER excited though because it means I'm going to have a real job someday!!! Hopefully in a few months!

Lastly, I ordered my cap and gown last night. I'm going to graduate from COLLEGE!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Carli W. said...

Andrea! You should apply for a teaching position in Davis County. Particularly in Layton at a certain elementary school known as Vae View Elementary. It would be the happiest thing ever to have my sweetest cousin teach my children!! Plus, without knowing anything about how well you teach---you'd be the best teacher ever!!

Like I said: Davis County, Layton, Vae View Elementary. Students: Jonathan, Anna, Emmett, and future kids of the Mike and Carli Wright family.

(By the way, Camie lives just six houses down from me and I'm sure would consider sending her kids to Vae View instead of the charter school if you were teaching there. Just sayin'....)

Melodie Anne said...

I want you guys (you+arby) to come visit me as a graduation present from you to yourself. Decision made!